Tuesday, March 15, 2011

HB 17-150

So FYI Ya'll, HB 17-150 proposes the re-authorization of using both gill nets as well as SCUBA while fishing. The bill was written by the Honorable Jose Palacios of Precint 1.
Just to get everyone up to speed, there have been management restrictions banning the use of gills nets and "SCUBA Spearfishing" in the CNMI. This bill proposes to abolish those restrictions. Although I have my own views on the subject I would much rather hear the thoughts of others. Please feel free to express your thoughts on the matter.

4 comments:

  1. This is the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever heard of coming from the legislature in the past year. I STRONGLY oppose this bill. This is allowed on Guam, the reef fisheries here have very little to offer unless you're fishing in a relatively private spot. and I am appalled that anybody up on that hill would even consider causing such destruction to our reef fisheries. I am a diver and have dived on Saipan reefs before. The fish just come up to you while you dive! They would have no chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting dave. I assumed that the reason there was a ban on net fishing is because of the adverse effects it has on the reef. I think that is bold move by whoever brought this into light. The effects is pretty simple, it can lead to the destruction of the reef as well as the surrounding marine life. As for SCUBA, I feel that there would be increase in chance that it would encourage a more selective form of fishing. And what would happen if most of the big fish are removed from that population?.. I could go on but I think this should suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why even put up the restrictions in the first place if you're going to abolish them?

    ReplyDelete